New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 11 visitors.

All Forums
 Introductions & Welcomes
 Hello, Hello !!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
edward

United States
32 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  4:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit edward's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to say hello to the fine people of Blairsville. I'm new here and a bit bored. Love to chat. If I can be of some help to anyone, Don't hesitate to ask. Many talents to share. I'm trying to grow some corn. Any hints??
ILuvGa

United States
92 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  2:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit ILuvGa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you trying to be a farmer? I am going to do that as soon as I move there. Also I am going to get in a rowboat and go fishing on Lake Nottery. I think I misspelled that. Don't get bored, someone here is always on line. Yu should post some in "Chit Chat".

Live, Laugh, Love to your fullestGo to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  1:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What do you need to know about growing corn? Have you ever grown a garden before, or are you starting from scratch? Corn needs fertile soil and lots of nitrogen, but don't use too much high-nitrogen fertilizer when you first plant it or it will burn the seedlings. Better to apply high-nitrogen fertilizer later after it has grown a little. If you have a problem with crows pulling up your corn seedlings, put some sunflower seeds on the ground near your garden a few days after you plant the corn seeds. The crows will eat the sunflower seeds and leave your corn alone. You should plant corn about 1 foot apart in the rows. If it is too crowded you will have smaller ears of corn. If you have a problem with worms in the ears of corn, spray the silk end of the ears with Dipel when it starts silking.

BTW, this is not really the right forum for this topic

Edited by - meg on 05/11/2009 1:26:04 PMGo to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  1:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you trying to be a farmer? I am going to do that as soon as I move there. Also I am going to get in a rowboat and go fishing on Lake Nottery. I think I misspelled that. Don't get bored, someone here is always on line. Yu should post some in "Chit Chat".

Live, Laugh, Love to your fullest

Yes, it is Lake NottelyGo to Top of Page

ILuvGa

United States
92 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  9:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit ILuvGa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Meg yu must have a garden or you have had one. I grew up with one. My grandfather was an active farmer. He had a little of everything, including cold watermelon in the summer.

Live, Laugh, Love to your fullestGo to Top of Page

zinger54

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  8:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes a flatlander!!!!! as long as you learn how to take the curves .....you are OK with me.

Go to Top of Page

William R. Jenkins

USA
3545 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2010 :  8:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit William R. Jenkins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Meg,crows are probably my favotite birds.They occassionally eat the sunflower seeds from our feeders.Never more than two at once.They don't stay long.You must have been a farmer with your knowledge of growing corn.Is it bribery or extorting them smart crows are forcing on the corn growers.I have often wondered why so many farmers grow corn.If I didn't know better,I might think there was a moomshiner or two in the area.Down in Florida(that's the state south of Georgia,I grew some very tasty tomatoes,but here I finally gave up because they would start to rot.on gthe bottom at about one inch in diameter.Do you agree that farmers are born and not raised? WRJ

William R.JenkinsGo to Top of Page

meg

United States
969 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  09:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit meg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mr. Jenkins, I will reply to your post even though this should be in Outdoor Activities instead of Introductions and Welcomes.
Crows are pretty birds, but they can do a lot of damage to crops.

The reason farmers grow a lot of corn is probably because they can use or sell it. I suppose that is the reason for growing most vegetables. I don't think they are growing it just for the fun of watching it grow, even though it is enjoyable to see. Field corn can be used to feed livestock, for people to eat fresh (roasting ears), to make hominy, cornmeal and grits, and, yes, to make moonshine. My great great grandfather was a Baptist preacher and he wanted all his children to be respectable and hard working. He taught all his sons a different trade and they taught their sons. My grandfather's trade was making moonshine and he was good at it. He made it for all the family's needs. Anyway, that is off-topic in this off-topic post.

The problem with your tomatoes is that they are not getting enough calcium. A lack of calcium causes blossom-end rot. Either there is not enough in the soil, or it is too dry or too wet for the plants to absorb it. If your tomato plants get enough water but not too much, then the problem is a lack of calcium in the soil. You can add lime to your soil and that will prevent the problem, but it takes about a year to break down enough for the plants to use. Hydrated lime breaks down a little faster, but not fast enough if you already see signs of blossom-end rot. If you see blossom-end rot starting to form on your tomatoes you can spray the plants with a calcium solution that can be found at garden supply stores. That will save most of your tomatoes this year, but adding lime to your soil will be better for future plantings.

I like farming, I guess it is in the blood and you have to love it to do it. I grew up on a farm, but now I just have a garden.Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy