New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 12 visitors.

All Forums
 Events Calendar
 October 11-12, 18-19: Sorghum Festival
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  07:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Time: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Cost: Free admission, but donations to the Blairsville Jaycees accepted and encouraged

Blairsville's most famous event, Georgia's official Sorghum Festival, is upon us. Sponsored by the Blairsville Jaycees, it's the time of year when we all congregate to celebrate our wonderful community and its rich heritage and pay tribute to this year's harvest at the 39th Annual Sorghum Festival.

Pole climbin', biskit eatin', rock throwin' - all your favorite activities and more, located this year at Meeks Park with plenty of parking and space for visitors and locals alike to gather.

It kicks off Saturday morning, October 11, with a parade through town and runs for two weekends. Come on down and join in the fun!

Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  12:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't miss out on Blairsville and Union County's premier event! The Sorghum Festival is going on this weekend and next weekend at its new home in Meeks Park. Syrup makin', music playin', pole climbin', contests and good times havin' is all going on now! Come on down and join in the fun.

And this year a new treat - helicopter rides! $35 dollars gets you a seat in a helicopter for a brief trip around the area. A second person with you can go for $15 more. Get a unique perspective on the festival and the surrounding area and be able to tell your friends "I went up in the helicopter!"

Go to Top of Page

topaz

USA
3621 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  11:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed a sign on the Country Cousins float, that the Square Dance was being held at the park. Does anyone know how it went? I know the last few years, attendance has really dwindled. Hope it picks up with the new location!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life..♫
~ Red Auerbach ~
Go to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  12:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the Parade, but didn't want to fight the traffic to go to the Park/Fort. So for those who went to the new location how was it? It looked like a ton of people were there. I don't know about the square dance, but I did see John this morning (he came to visit my dad) and he said the festival was really nice and they had alot of people around the "fort"! He felt like the new location was gonna work out good! Anyways, just wondering from those of you who went what you thought!

Go to Top of Page

spam4einstein

839 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  8:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was GREAT! I think it being free to get in has given it new life. Lots of local folks enjoying the day at the festival. It has a much better vibe. I hope they expand on this years "comeback" next year. bravo!

Go to Top of Page

Butterfly

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  08:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that the majority of the Jaycees, old (me included) and new, like the location a lot better. My kids were not as convinced. My view on it is that you can look over the events from the pan and see everything that is happening from that location. It is spread out but in one place unlike the Fort and Civic Center areas. I never liked how crowded it was on Saturdays and bumping elbows. At this location you do not have that problem, plenty of room for everyone. The EMT's estimated 4,000+ people came on Sat. and there was a great turnout for Sunday also.

The helicopter rides were a bit too loud coming that close and made it hard to hear what was being said even over the microphone. If they would move out a bit that would help the noise factor.

The sqaure dance was a big hit once again and the weather could not have been better. There was a small crowd to begin with but enough to make a small square dance and then close to nine there was quite a gathering of folks with lots of fun being had by most. Hubby even improvised the going out the door during the square dance by going around a Bronco that was very close once so many people arrived. I knew immediately what he was doing and it was quite funny! There will be another square dance on Sat. starting at 8 on the pavement next to the pool.

"Don't let other people tell you what you want." - Pat RileyGo to Top of Page

samantha_blue

1193 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  09:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, it really sounds fun. Sounds like some of the magic of years past is being renewed! The square dances remind me so much of my Dad and the years past, I miss those days. It's bittersweet for me.

I am definately going to check things out this weekend.

Go to Top of Page

JawJa Gurl

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  09:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...The square dances remind me so much of my Dad and the years past, I miss those days. It's bittersweet for me.

Those are the same thoughts I was thinkin about my daddy when I was readin about the square dance. :)

I'm soo glad for this change. I love it!

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy