New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 45 visitors.

All Forums
 Events Calendar
 June 14-15: Blairsville Scottish Festival & Games
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  08:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Time: Gate will open at 8:00 a.m.
Opening Ceremony will begin at 12 noon on the Main Field.
Athletics and other events begin at 9:00 a.m. and continue until 5:00 p.m.
Cost: Adults: $10 per day - $15 for 2 days, children 12 and under free

Come out to Meeks Park for the Blairsville Scottish Festival and Highland Games, a premiere event held annually in Blairsville and listed as a Top 20 event by the Southeast Tourism Society.

The event is full of things to see and do. Demonstrations of hunting falcons and border collies herding. Short lecture and demonstration on Scottish weapons. Many bands and singers. Children's activities. Athletes competing in the Highland Games. Scottish fiddle workshop. Parade of tartans. Scottish dancing. Pipe and drum bands.

Don't miss this event!

Full details are available at the event website: http://www.blairsvillescottishfestival.org/

Pictures from an earlier Scottish Festival are available here: http://blairsville.com/glimpses/scottishgames2006.php

Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  7:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a chart they have at the park showing where things are located, in case you want a head start on planning your "must do/must see" list:

Go to Top of Page

margparg

USA
1635 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  8:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is so much fun!  I betcha Mac will be there this weekend!

1/20/09 (amen, sista!)
G.O.P. (Grand Oil Party!)Go to Top of Page

MiddleAgeCrazy

USA
1435 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  10:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All weekend.............. I'm so tired this evening I can't go to sleep............... lol!
We had the largest group of athletes we've had so far. We had a really large crowd right up till it started raining. Then a new crowd as large this afternoon as it cleared out again.
Mr Bill hung in there taking pictures all day too.

Edited by - MiddleAgeCrazy on 06/14/2008 10:28:59 PMGo to Top of Page

iamsam

United States
261 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  08:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit iamsam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We always seem to miss the Scottish Highlands Festival by a few days. It sounds like a lot of fun!! One of these years I will schedule our vacation during that weekend. The kids would really enjoy it. Were driving up Weds. Can't wait to get there and relax Life is very stressful down here.

777Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  01:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theres this feller,.. we all know.. that has some pictures..hehe! I hope to see them in the future.. :)
Was in Gainesville on Saturday and seen a man in a kilt with a Blairsville Scottish Festival shirt on..

Are kilts made with like.. skorts under um?

"A good heart is better than all the heads in the world."

Edward Bulwar - Lytton

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  11:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question:

For those who have attended this, how is it? A friend went the first or second year it started and said it was just okay.

However, this is the fifth year. Is it developing into something good? I know someone Scottish who would love to know.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

Mr Bill

USA
1390 Posts
Local Business Leader

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  07:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Bill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it's definitely good. Its certainly a noteworthy event. The prior experience is visible and it's run very well - the shuttles to and from parking, the food venues, the highland games, the various vendors and demonstrations, and the bands. I also think it evinces a lot of the character of this area.

As to what others might think about it, I think it varies according to what they're hoping to see and do. It's not Six Flags obviously.

This AccessNorthGA article had a good article about this year's event: http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=210808

Go to Top of Page

Wildflower

USA
4528 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  11:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Bill,

I looked at the pictures and what a coincidence!

The person who would be interested in attending the Scottish Festival, belongs to Clan MacPherson and there was a picture of the clan in their tent.

It sounds like the event has more to offer now.

WildflowerGo to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy