New Page 1
On Facebook | Twitter: @blairsville_com | Online Forums | About The Site | Contact Us | What's New! | Keyword:  
We Support Our Troops
Home   Happenings   Drop By...   Stay Awhile...   About Blairsville

Username:
Password:

Save Password
Please review our Usage Policies.

No members are currently in the forums and 60 visitors.

All Forums
 Events Calendar
 May 30: Jeans for Justice/Blue Jean Ball
 New Topic  Reply to Topic

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
S.A.F.E. Services

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  10:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S.A.F.E. presents,
"Jeans for Justice" Blue Jean Ball
Where: North Georgia Technical College/Blairsville

When: Friday May, 30th 6:30pm until..

Enjoy food, silent auction, music & dancing.
$40 pp (a portion of your ticket price is tax deductible)
Dress it up, or dress it down, but dress in denim!

Contact S.A.F.E. for tickets or go by your local S.A.F.E. thrift store for tickets!
706-379-1901

www.safeservices.org

margparg

USA
1635 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  06:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone needs tickets, let me know. I have some for sale!
Also, if you or anyone you know would like to be a sponsor of the ball, I have sponsor packets.

Mac, sorry y'all can't make it this year.

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  1:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seen the jar at the UCB branch of Ingles, reads.. Jeans for justice because what she wears is no excuse for sexual assault...

I hope that many turn out for this and support it.

[IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg27/sweetjos/Hope.png[/IMG]Go to Top of Page

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  5:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason behind the ball.......I even got hubby into jeans for this one!

The History of Jeans for Justice

Early in February 1999, a Judge in Italy overturned the 1998 rape conviction of a 45-year-old driving instructor named Carmine Cristiano. A lower court had sentenced Cristiano to two years and eight months in prison for raping an 18-year old student. The appeals court said the girl must have consented to sex and sent the case back for retrial.

The Court of Cassation ruled that it is impossible to take off tight pants such as jeans "without the cooperation of the person wearing them," and said it is impossible if the victim is struggling. The court also questioned why the victim, identified only as Rosa, waited several hours to tell her parents she'd been attacked.

"It could be seen as a manual for aspiring rapists," the Rome daily Il Messaggero fumed in a front-page story. Alessandra Mussolini, a deputy of the rightist National Alliance, called the ruling "shameful" and said it "offends the dignity of women." A group of women lawmakers wore jeans to Parliament the day following the ruling. They displayed a sign that read "Jeans: An Alibi For Rape." Massimo D'Alema said he could not comment on the ruling as prime minister, but as a private citizen, he expressed "solidarity" with the protesting female lawmakers. Protesting lawmakers asked women all over Italy to join a "skirt strike" and wear jeans. The anchor of a popular television show (known for her chic dresses) also donned a pair of denims. A housewives federation ridiculed the court by offering a prize to any designer who comes up with "easy-off jeans" and it planned a march in dungarees to the Justice Ministry. Union Official Stefania Sidoli said, "We thank the court for having enriched women's wardrobes with a new garment. To the business suit and the little black dress, we can now add the anti-rape outfit: a comfortable and resistant pair of jeans."

Protests have now gone global. In the United States, Abuse Counseling and Treatment in Florida coined the phrase "Jeans for Justice."

Businesses in Towns and Union Counties bring the message home each April by participating in “Jeans for Justice Awareness Campaign”. Utilizing the symbolism of jeans to bring attention to sexual assault, they let others know that such crimes will not be tolerated in our community.

As an extension of the awareness created by Jeans for Justice, S.A.F.E. is promoting the “Jeans for Justice” Blue Jean Ball to be held May 30, 2008.

We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey.
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  6:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Nelly..

hope and loveGo to Top of Page

margparg

USA
1635 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  6:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Alan Yates & Drummer will be doing the music for the BJB.  He's from www.alanyatesband.com

Very good music & he's donating his time to the cause! 

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  7:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:O :) ARE YOU SERIOUS... HE SO ROCKS.. :) OF COURSE Maddy ... I know you know.. that he does.. teehee! This is an awesome addition to this.. cool!

nelly

USA
2816 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  7:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, Maddy, got to have an intro to this guy......you've talked about him for years now, I'm excited to finally get to hear him.

We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey.
Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  7:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:) Heres a small glimpse.. found on youtube...

margparg

USA
1635 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  6:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are still tickets available for purchase! Let me know, call, or go by the thrift store. Should be fun & lots of great gifts for the silent auction.

Go to Top of Page

coosa creek

USA
39313 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  10:51:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the blue jean ball. Just 15 days away!!

Go to Top of Page

daughterofconfederate

USA
29728 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  10:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone needs reminded of this event!

Thats what it is all about.. helping those victims in need..

Also shop the thrift stores to help contribute.. I know both Towns and Union have awesome deals on clothes.. and some other things as well.. so check out their blue jean wear for additional contributions.. :)

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -Abraham LincolnGo to Top of Page

margparg

USA
1635 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  08:01:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks to all who attended last night.  It was a nice event & we saw some familiar faces there.  Coosa didn't rip up the dance floor though!!! LOL

Band was awesome!  We are talking to them about the Gala event in Feb.

1/20/09 (amen, sista!)
G.O.P. (Grand Oil Party!)Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:

Blairsville, Georgia - home in the North GA Mountains

© 2002-2007 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

© 2002-2009 BoeBro Ventures, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Usage Policy